[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - Tournaments?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Tournaments?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:46 am 

We used to do them on Morphine, and I am sure there are some good ones we can do now. There is a polling system, so we have everything we need to host some. It's a good way to get the entire community involved in discussion on an interesting topic.

Anyone for a tournament or two? If so, what are some you'd like to see?

Me personally, I always hated the Character Battles they do on Gamefaqs cause it's a popularity contest, not an actual measure of who would win in a fight between two fictional characters, and I think that's most of the fun, that being the discussion of who would win if these two characters matched up. So a Wonderpod Character Battle tournament would be a great idea to me.

Post subject: Re: Tournaments?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Admin

I like the idea, but would want to hear it fleshed out and what would you think of running it? Also by fleshed out I mean exactly how we would make it better than the old game FAQ ones.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am 

Well I figured it was pretty clear on what I meant. I don't mind running them, I've done them before, and I have a lot of free time at work to set them up. The point I was making is, on Gamefaqs, a character battle sees two characters duke it out, however, the winners are usually via popularity, not any debate whether one is stronger than the other. So Link will beat a less popular character like Shao Kahn, with no actual debate as to whether or not Shao Kahn could destroy Link. Shao Kahn was one of the hardest bosses in gaming, all of us died numerous times trying to take him down.

The fun is in discussing this particular exchange. Why one character trumps over the other, and it leads to a far more coherent result. Also my one suggestion for character battles need not be the one we do. We've done some good ones in the past, and I wouldn't be against other worthwhile community stuff like that Undead Panel we did a while back. Point is, the discussion adds a lot to the quality of the tournament itself, similar to how we all participated in that top movie one we did some time ago. Granted, there was very little regulation in that, but it was still fun.

However, before we even settle on anything, I'd like to hear some of the other members opinions on the idea, and some suggestions of what might be better. I merely suggested the character battles one, as it was the first one that came to mind. Someone else might think of something better.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Admin

I think hearing from the rest of the group is an excellent idea. Personally I was thinking maybe skipping a poll all together. Each member could cast a vote with a post that has to explain why they think this character wins or something like that.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 am 

Actually, I like that idea more. One of the main problems with these tournaments we do is people cast their vote too early, or never even explain it, they just vote. Could make it a rule where to cast a vote, a reasoning must be given, or you abstain. That way, everyone can debate on the post, and it could allow for some vote changes. Just put in a reasonable deadline, and we're in business.

Board index » General » General Discussion