[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - Scam Busters
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Scam Busters
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm 

No, it's not spam! Don't delete me, actually! Something odd has happened recently. So a lot of our customers have called us worried that they were going to have to pay some ridiculous fee because their computer is "spamming errors" to the Internet and the only way it can be fixed is by some random asshole from overseas that calls them randomly.

Obviously, this is a scam. They claim to be from "Windows Service Center" or some bullshit. Anyway, we're too smart for this shit, but obviously a lot of people have fallen for it or they wouldn't keep calling. And now they've started calling me. I'm starting this thread for three reasons.

1 - Awareness

2 - To update you guys in the event they keep calling, especially so we can come up with new ways to fuck with them (you'll see what I mean momentarily)

3 - In the event you've been dealing with them

So here's what I've had so far...

Call 1:

"Hello?"
"Hello sir, this is William with Windows technical support."
*Sounded more like a Babagamesh, but whatever*
"Okay, how can I help?"
"Yes, we have received several errors coming from your Windows serial code-"
"Oh really? Hey, what was that code. I'm in front of my computer right now."
*Long pause*
"Well...it's...uh..."
*Rattles off a long and obviously made up code*
"Oh, okay, excellent. Hey, I'll be sure to use that to crack another computer. Thanks, buddy!"
*Click*

Call 2:

"Hello?"
"Hello, this is Don with Windows Service Center."
"Okay."
"Are you the primary computer user?"
"Yes, but it's a Mac."
"..."

He hung up on me!

Post subject: Re: Scam Busters
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm 

Yeah a similar scam was going around Calgary. Some very bad actors, from India, were pretending to be working for MS, and would call and say that there are problems with " your Windows ". They ask for your password and info. Even my father, who knows almost nothing about computers didn't believe theses idiots.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 am 

They called again! I actually managed to waste 11 minutes of his time before he hung up. Here are some highlights...

- When asked if I could type in the address bar, I claimed I only had an AskJeeves search bar.

- When asked what version of Windows I had, I stated the computer said Dell.

- When asked if I could hit Windows + R keys (normally brings up the run window), I stated it said it was locked by the administrator.

- When he had me search for things from the "AskJeeves search bar" (which he couldn't pronounce either), I kept telling him it found no results.

- When he asked if there was a start button, I told him there was a Windows button, which is true and only in the last minute did he realize I had Windows 8.

- When asked how I normally get online, I told him with Netscape Navigator.

There's a whole lot else I don't really remember to be honest. I think next time I'm going to try to have something up to where I can record this idiot, if I can. Stay tuned.

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:43 pm 

Well technically speaking in Windows 7 and Vista it's a Windows button as well. So, if they're asking you to find the button that says Start, then they must still be using XP in the shittier parts of India.

Board index » General » General Discussion