[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - Next Gen
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gaming » Video Games

Post subject: Next Gen
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 am 

Both consoles are out my friends. Some of you have already settled, and some are still deciding. I am sure some of us will be split up for a while.

What console have you ultimately decided on? Do you have it already? What do you think of it so far?

I am planning on buying a PS4 when I get the money together. I just find it to be the overall better console, but in recent days I have found the only hang up I have for the Xbox One is simply the DRM debacle from Microsoft. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Otherwise, both consoles look fairly good, I just felt I didn't need a Kinect. Barely use the one we have now.

Post subject: Re: Next Gen
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Admin

It is so hard to predict when and why I will jump into the next generation. Last night on the podcast I made the comment of next holiday season. So essentially a year after launch like I did the with the 360.
As to which one I will get once I decide to take the plunge? I am leaning toward the Xbox One, but there is always the possibility I will change my mind and go PS4. Really the whole "DRM" thing never bothered me as I knew it wouldn't survive long. Companies can tell me they plan to do this and that all they want. I refuse to get in a panic anymore until they actually do it. Again this is all subject to change and it will all just depend on cash flow and what games are out.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:31 am 

I knew they weren't going to stick to it either, but my problem essentially is they still pulled a gambit, hoping we'd lie down and accept it. I can't trust a company that would actually think they could get away with that. Especially in what that practice was aiming to do. While Sony threw their hat into the old "Pay for this subscription to play online" deal. But I am more okay with PS Plus cause they actually give good stuff away for free, and the restrictions are not as harsh. I can still party chat, use Netflix, YouTube, etc. On Xbox One (and 360) you need Live to do almost anything on those consoles, and they consider it a privilege. Meanwhile they charge upwards of 250,000 a day per ad space on the dashboard, on a subscription paid service, which charges developers fees to issue patches (which is why Xbox always gets updates later on, cause developers just hold off until the patch is substantial to justify the cost).

Sony may do some of these things too, I don't know for sure. But PS4 seems like the more consumer friendly console. It's also the cheapest. So it wins in a lot of regards.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 am 

To clarify the last statement, a Google search revealed that Microsoft no longer charges developers for patches. I know this has no effect on us as gamers, but I just felt like correcting something I said if it was wrong.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:17 pm 

I've got so much to catch up on for this gen that I won't get one of them...yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested in them. Problem is I don't know what everyone's getting, what's available, or why I should get one over the other, pretty much as I stated in my article. I'll wait until they drop a bit and I have a chance to see what they really bring to the table.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 pm 

Picked up my Day One Xbox One today. Have to go unbox it in few mins. I always love that shit.

I have been doing the Nintendo/MS combo for the last 2 generations and I am doing it again this new generation. Having a Sony/Nintendo combo never really entered my mind. MS/Nintendo is the best fit for my gaming tastes and those tastes have not changed. Also, if my friends kids and my nephews are a good source, kids seem to "get" Kinect around the age of 3. So, in the next year or so I can see Thomas playing around with the simple Fun Labs type stuff on Kintect 2.0. Kinect 2.0 will not get much action for ,say the first year, but I can see it getting lots of time in the years to come with me and my son having a blast together. Also, I look forward to the whole movies, TV, games, Skype, whatever integration. MS may have overemphasized it at E3, but it still seems like a great feature to complement the video game playing.

Now, if you will excuse me, my son is asleep and I can unbox the Day One console .... now!! :D :P :D

Board index » Gaming » Video Games