[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - My Top 30 Sega Genesis Games
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gaming » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 pm 

11. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Japan plays a lot of different types of games. Often times, game makers decide against US releases of these games, cause they feel the American public will not appreciate it. This was true for RPG's for quite a while, till Final Fantasy VII showed how profitable they were in the west. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is another example of a game being dressed up to be accepted. Known as Puyo Puyo in Japan, the game was given a Sonic mythos make over to increase sales. I am not sure if it worked. But I am glad for it, otherwise I would've never played this game. It's a puzzle game where you go head to head against Robotnik's robot henchmen, concluding with going against Robotnik himself. Puyo Puyo is a fun style of puzzle game, you match four or more of the same color beans to make them disappear from the board, if you manage to rack up combos though, you'll fire an attack to the enemy which fills their board with refugee beans, which can only disappear alongside other released beans. The game is won, when you fill up your opponents board to the top. The video link shows just how aggressive you can be if you're good at it, but obviously, it being Tool Assisted, means people don't play THAT good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJW33t11iU

Post subject: Castlevania: Bloodlines
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:49 pm 

10. Castlevania: Bloodlines

Like I said previously, Konami began producing exclusive Genesis titles, and this was their offering for Castlevania. Just like Contra: Hard Corps, the game was definitely loyal to the Castlevania mythos, whilst adding some elements. The game was bloodier than previous entries in the series, thanks to Sega being more open to this type of stuff. You play as one of two characters, John Morris wielding the Vampire Killer, the only one I have seen do this that is not a Belmont. As well as Eric Lecarde, a character that uses an extending spear. It's fun, it's dark, it's Castlevania. If you're a fan of the series, this isn't one to pass up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F8BK69x6o

Post subject: Comix Zone
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 pm 

9. Comix Zone

This game was made by the same developers that made The Ooze. You can hear similarities in the sounds used, but boy do they seem like completely different games. You play the role of a Comic Book artist whom gets sucked into his own comic, whilst the villain he created pencils in enemies attempting to kill you. The game is just the epitome of stylish. Everything blends together so well, it even feels like you're going through a comic book. You jump from panel to panel, and the fighting system has such weight and impact to it, that it's just hours of fun. It's one of the funnest games on the Sega Genesis, and a must-play for any gamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3I0FX0CsA

Post subject: Exo Squad
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:02 pm 

8. Exo Squad

I don't think a lot of people have heard of this game, and it's a shame cause it's really a great game overall. From what little information I can gather, the gaming publications of the time didn't score it well. The game is based on an animated series I have never seen. You play the role of three people in mech suits, each with different gameplay elements. One flies and fires plasma. The other is a heavy ground gunner type deal, and the third is one that fights hand to hand. There is a plot there about time travel and whatnot, but what stands out in this title are a few things. Fully animated cutscenes (at least what was possible at the time), great music, and game play. The controls take some getting used to, but once you master them, this game will have your time for a while.

No decent gameplay footage. Sorry.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 pm 

7. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

There are a lot of Shinobi games, but this one I think was the best one on the Genesis. Perfect controls, great environments, memorable music, just all around a masterpiece. I really can't say much about this game. There's a plot sure, but it barely registers. All that matters is the game play. This is Shinobi perfected. If you've never played any of these games, this is where to start, hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqIRXUVC4U

Post subject: Mortal Kombat
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm 

6. Mortal Kombat

Now I know what you're thinking. "Mortal Kombat? That was certainly on the SNES. What are you trying to pull?" You'd be right. Except for one thing. The SNES version of Mortal Kombat took away the blood. The Genesis had it intact. Just punch in the ABACABB code, and you're in business. In this regard, although you may consider it a flimsy justification, I consider it reason enough to include on this list. It made Genesis appear like the more viable option for a second. Of course, Nintendo came to their senses and had blood enabled by default in future MK installments, but this was one time Genesis owners felt like they got a little more. Plus this was a game me and all my friends wanted to play, so please allow me to beg your indulgence for this one pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YV0Qjwnr9M

Post subject: Dynamite Headdy
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

5. Dynamite Headdy

Now it's time for my Top 5. This is the best of the best as far as I am concerned.

Dynamite Headdy is a game in which you play as a character that can shoot his head forward to damage enemies, and also swap his head out for other heads which have different abilities. You play on what amounts to a stage production, and since this game was made by Treasure, the boss fights are just plain epic. This is just a game you need to play to appreciate. It's colorful, it's fun, the music and sound effects are great, the name of every level is a pun off the title of a popular movie, it's just greatness. I'd recommend this game to any gamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRcNmS8_cr0

Post subject: Streets of Rage 2
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:21 pm 

4. Streets of Rage 2

This may shock you, but I never liked Golden Axe. I always thought the game had poor hit detection, was unnecessarily hard, and just overall wasn't my bag. That's probably cause I played Streets of Rage beforehand. This is the quintessential beat em' up of the Genesis, hands down. While I miss the cop car super moves, this game was a lot more fun, and even more memorable. It's just the best beat em' up on the system hands down. If you've never played it, I don't know how you sleep at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWRvaKyQ8Ts

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:25 pm 

3. Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron

One of my favorite games of all time, I know people say they like the original, but to me, the sequel just blew it away. The graphics are sleek and stylish, the music is just "oh my fucking god, get it out of my head" good, and the game play is addicting. You play as either Toejam or Earl, a pair of alien teenagers who accidentally brought Earthlings to their home planet, and they're causing a ruckus. They're tasked with capturing the invaders, and shipping them back to Earth while attempting to restore the balance of funk. It's a game that needs to be played. Just fucking play it. Do it now, stop reading this, and go download it. NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCHa8ERiz0

Post subject: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 pm 

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

There had to be a Sonic game on the list. He's the defining character of Sega. But I had to choose only one. At that end, I picked Sonic 2. Sonic 1 was fine, but lengthy and unimaginative. Sonic 3 improved the game in every way, but just wasn't as memorable to me, and Sonic and Knuckles was like a saturated affair. Sonic 2 to me is the best game in the core franchise. I can remember every level, every track, and the final boss fight was one of the most tense final boss fights ever in a video game. Metal Sonic AND the Death Egg robot, all at zero rings? This is the best Sonic game to me, hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZJ54lNTYY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Gaming » Video Games