[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - So I got a PS4...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gaming » Video Games

Post subject: So I got a PS4...
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 pm 

I know Pat got himself an Xbox One and talked about it a bit, so I figured I'd talk about my PS4 purchase since a couple might be interested. As you all know consoles are pretty much sold out everywhere, and I don't get a lot of time to get somewhere with limited transportation. So my only real day I can buy anything is on Wednesday, I had called the nearby Gamestop about their stock and they said they had freshly restocked but got ransacked and were down to three. So I wasn't expecting on getting my hands on a PS4 in the next few days.

I called again yesterday, just to reconfirm that they were out. The guy was real quiet and secretive and was all like "...yeah, we got some... in the back... we need to uh... put em' in the system. They'll be available at 3." I lol'ed.

Got there a bit early and they kept the secrecy charade up "yeah... one second... I'll go get it." I had no idea if I was inadvertently picking up a PS4 with secret government intelligence on it, or these guys just really took their jobs seriously. In any case, I traded in some stuff, and I came up with about 140 dollars in Gamestop credit which really drove the price down.

But enough about that... the CONSOLE, yes... It's surprisingly small. Like really, it's fucking tiny. Light too. The whole box probably only weighs about six pounds. The box contains a Dualshock 4, a charger cable for it, an HDMI, power cable, and the console itself. It also comes with free codes so you get a free month of PS Plus, 10 dollars to spend on the PS Store, and a month trial on their music service which I wasn't interested in. One of the most interesting things about the PS4 is how the console is so small, and yet has no power brick, not only that but the power cable is not a common computer cable like the PS3 has, but rather the same type of electric cord you'd use on a boombox in the 90's. How they managed to do that, I'll never know.

The controller feels really good, but I am hard pressed to say which is better the PS4 or the Xbox One. Both controllers are improved significantly and handle better overall. Regardless of which console you go, the controller will not disappoint you either way. Strangely enough the little gimmicks the controller was boasting like the motion light on the front and the audio coming out of the controller for certain parts I actually really enjoy. It does kind of immerse you a bit more, and it doesn't feel in the way at all.

I didn't buy a game, cause honestly nothing interests me at the moment. I got to say, the Xbox One has the stronger launch library, but I wanted safety and consumer friendliness. So I went this direction. That being said, with PS Plus I did get a few free games to play such as Resogun, Contrast, and the forever free offerings on there like Warframe and DC Universe Online. Resogun is a fun little shoot em' up while Contrast is an adventure puzzler. Still playing them, and they're alright. That being said, the Playstation Store games section is pretty bare. I don't know if this is the same as Xbox One, but there isn't much to choose from, you can scroll down the entire games list in the store in about a minute. Nothing really stands out.

I hope they bring back some of the features of the PS3 like being able to play PS One and PS2 games that are purchased in the store, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely. I'll probably be getting Gamefly to try some games out, mostly cause I don't feel like plopping down 60 bucks on anything out right now. Killzone looks great, but I hear a lot of people saying it's not worth the price.

And that's the early story on the PS4 at the moment. I'll update this as more comes available.

Post subject: Re: So I got a PS4...
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 pm 

That is pretty funny that they were so secretive about the PS4s in the back, but luck was on your side I guess and you picked one up. Xbox One has nothing in the XBL Arcade section at the moment, which sucks. But as you may or may not have seen, I picked up Peggel 2 and its good fun, so at least there is something out for download. Also, just a few days ago demos started to come out on the Xbox One. Are there any demos for PS4 games yet?

Keep us updated with game impressions if you have the time. Especially the PS4 exclusives.

Post subject: Re: So I got a PS4...
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:36 am 

Demowise might be no different than what Xbox has at the moment. Not much to see. Fifa, NBA Live, Doki Doki Universe, Trine 2, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Tiny Brains, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I might have forgotten one or two. PS Plus users will also get a Multiplayer trial of Killzone that'll be available from Dec 28-30. That's about it.

Shame some other multiplatform games don't have demos, like Need for Speed Rivals, which my wife actually wants to play. That being said, I am no loyalist, but I suspect Sony Fanboys may be more than a little jealous Xbox One has Killer Instinct. That game looks sick.

I believe in early Jan PS Plus gets Don't Starve for free, which I have heard a lot about, but haven't seen any game play, could be interesting, but we'll have to see how that goes. Both consoles won't be seeing any games of particular interest till a bit into 2014. Watch Dogs is definitely my pick, can't wait to get my hands on that. I also see Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3, which may or may not completely suck. So much to look forward to.

Board index » Gaming » Video Games