[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WPO Forums • View topic - Retro Video Games
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Gaming » Video Games

Post subject: Retro Video Games
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:25 pm 

Here is a place to talk about old school video games. It doesn't matter what format , PC, console, handheld, arcade. What ever you like. I would have called it "RetroPod", but Gunsage would have filed a lawsuit.

I am going to start off with an old school PC racing/shooter by the name of MegaRace. It was actually a port of a 3DO game. The " host" is both hilariously cheesy and awesome. For its time ( nearly 20 years ago) the game had pretty good visuals and funny FMV . Anyone remember this game?

Post subject: Re: Retro Video Games
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:24 pm 

Hadn't heard of Megarace, but I want to talk in defense of a game everyone knows and loathes: Deadly Towers. And why is that? Well, one thing I'm noticing about games of the past that were seen as TERRIBLE vs. games from now that are seen as niche, quirky, and hardcore...is they're pretty damn similar. Look, here's what I mean.

With Deadly Towers, you have two checkpoints: at the very start of the entire game and at the mid-way point, which is just after the main fortress. Sure, the main fortress can seem like a daunting task at first, especially with the invisible pitfalls that land you in a random and seemingly inescapable dungeon, however if you already know the way up and don't get knocked around by the various traps and enemies, you'll get to the second checkpoint.

And that's especially important because once you've gotten to the second checkpoint, that's where the actual game begins anyway. There are 8 bells and 8 towers. You have to climb each tower, which is basically a straightforward mini-fortress, then fight its corresponding boss to light a bell. Once all 8 bells are lit, you trudge through the final mini-fortress and fight the final boss.

Are the bosses hard? Hell yes. You know what this reminds me of? Dark Souls. Think about it. You barely have any checkpoints, it's really easy to die and in general get fucked over, esoteric knowledge is needed to progress, there are upgrades but you have to know where to go for them...yeah, eerily similar. Sure, it's not going to win game of the year, but I think it deserves a better rap than it gets.

Anyway, that's my take.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Never ran across this game. That may be due to my allegiance to Carmageddon. Old games are fun as long as you remember they are old or older if you prefer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

I am on a PC retro kick it seems, but everyone feel free to post about retro games on ANY system.
Who here played Magic Carpet? What did you guys think of it? I liked it a lot, for its time. But I never finished it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Adding to the retro game theme. Here is one from back in the day. I never beat this game but I loved playing it. It is Treasure Island Dizzy

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm 

What did you play that on? I sort of remember this game, but I don't think I ever owned it.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

I played it on the Amiga I am about 95% sure. It was also on C64 if I recall right.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:16 pm 

Ah shit, if you liked Treasure Island Dizzy, definitely check out Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy. That game is amazing and on several consoles, such as the NES and Genesis.

Board index » Gaming » Video Games